• We are changing our forum format from vB4 to XenForo. This will make it easier for you and us. Just a ton of work on our end. We appreciate your patience. You're gonna love the changes.
  • We are BETA testing ths site. Official Launch Date of BeachConnections.com will be February 1, 2019. Please join us now and make suggestions/comments.

Community Hurricane Links: Resources and the Politics

Did Gov. McMaster make the right call to order an evacuation of the Grand Strand?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• not sure

• called it too early

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
"The Big Story." Oct., 2018

If you have updates, stories or pictures that deal with the Grand Strand, post them below.

The Aftermath:

‘This year we just pray we can recover,’ business down in Myrtle Beach after Florence (WMFBNEWS.com)

Additional Disaster Recovery Centers will open in Marion, Marlboro, and Georgetown Counties. (WBTW.com)

Socastee neighborhood waits on slowly receding floods (WBTW.com)

Memorable thoughts about the great flood of 2018 (myhorrynews.com)

Coast Guard modifies Waccamaw and Great Pee Dee River safety zone (SouthStrandNews.com)

Goergetown County now in recovery phase; moves to OPCON 3 (WPDE.com)

Waccamaw River crests in Conway (WBTW.com)

Longs has long road to recovery following flooding (WPDE.com)

DHEC: Untreated wastewater from Conway treatment plant entering Waccamaw River (WPDE.com)

Links for Hurricane Information

S.C. Emergency Management Division (Updates, shelters, Closings and Delays)

Horry County Emergency Management

Traffic Cams (511sc.org)

Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue (FaceBook)

Map shows worst case scenario of Florence flooding, state representative says (WPDE.com)

Myrtle Beach reopens after Hurricane Florence (MYRTLEBEACH.COM)

Price of saving road to Myrtle Beach: flooding Conway? (WPDE.COM)

Conway Officials: northbound lanes on U.S. 501 Bypass closed, drivers should avoid (WPDE.COM)

River Levels Continue to Rise as We Start to Dry Out (WBTW.COM)

THE POLITICS OF IT:

President Trump tours Conway to survey damage from flooding (WPDE.com)

Price of saving road to Myrtle Beach: Flooding nearby town? (TheAsnwerTampa.com)

I-73 PROPOSED ROUTE ENTIRELY FLOODED – Would be impassable in days (MYRTLEBEACHSC.COM)

McMaster Email Dams Waccamaw River & Conway Homes? (MYRTLEBEACHSC.COM)

Hurricane Politics: How did Henry McMaster do? (FITSNEWS.COM)

The Heartache:

‘Love you more’: Loris couple killed in Hurricane Florence were proud grandparents (MyrtleBeachonline.com)

Floods, ruin and heartache. Some Horry County residents say they’ve had enough. <MyrtleBeachonline.com>

Intracoastal Waterway Flooding Impact in Socastee (WBTW.com)

Roads become lakes, homes become swimming pools: Homes near Jordan Lake (WPDE.com)

Last edited:

Comments

Many people left the Grand Strand because of the mandatory evacuation. They may have left and entered a more dangerous situation. I don't know what the right call was from our governor. I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision.